Well, we finally did it, after months upon months upon months of procrastination we finally put in door thresholds across the bottom of the three exterior doors that needed it. I also patched the three rectangular holes in our hardwoods that used to be vents for my grandparents’ old hvac system. This is one of those thankless jobs that I wasn’t sure would make any more then a foot note in a blog entry here about something else. However, how Joe tackled this project was just too cool to NOT devote an entire blog entry to them. He made them by hand, out in the barn, using my grandpa’s old tools! So here is what our doors liked like before:
You can see the spray foam through the hole where the old grate for hvac used to be and the old wood from the wall that used to be there, not to mention the grand canyon like gap between the floors and the doors. NOT pretty and very obvious and very noticeable. These thresholds alone have kept me from taking pictures and revealing my kitchen and my living room! So, why did it take so long for us to finally get this done? Because it is thankless work 🙂 This is the perfect example of a job no one appreciates or notices when it is complete lol Which is, of course, the ultimate compliment because now it looks like they are SUPPOSED to look!
We started by calling around at the local lumber yards looking for door thresholds because I knew I had seen them before. No one had any in stock but they could order them and a six foot length would have been about $20. The cost didn’t bother us so much but the wait did. Joe got inspired after I explained to him exactly how they had to be (I love it when he gets inspired and I just run along after him to see if I can help) and he headed for the barn with our measurements. With some digging around I came up with the wood that would work and he clamped it on the bench, found my Grandpa’s old rasps and got to serious work!
I can’t even begin to tell you how cool it was to do something like this so entirely by hand. A friend of Joe’s stopped by the house not two days after we finished these thresholds and asked Joe, “Where did you get those old wood door thresholds?!” lol, it is just to cool that we made them 🙂 While Joe was at it hacking off two corners of the boards I went on a search for patching materiel for the floors. When it comes to patches I really just look for something that will work because I know full well that no patch is going to be perfect. Around the time I finally came up with what I needed Joe had finished.
Yes we have serious birds in the barn lol, just ignore that pile of bird poop that that board is sitting on. With the boards complete we went in and cut all of them to length and while I put the patches in (cut long so I could pound them in and know for sure they wouldn’t move ever) Joe got to work getting the thresholds right for each of the doors. There was a certain amount of sanding he did to make sure the doors would open etc. Then, with my patches installed and his door thresholds installed I got to work sanding everything down one more time and staining it all to match the floors.
So much better and now I’ve finally been able to take pictures of our finished kitchen and revealed the entire room here on the blog!