Hey guys, well you’ve already heard me rant and rave about the terrible place our electrician put our electric panel: Right by our front door! To see what I did about that ugliness on the inside of the house check this out: Covering up an incredible eye sore in our entry way. After seeing that post many of you asked what we did on the outside of our house because it was all just as ugly on the outside as it was on the inside! I had been at the drawing board about this problem all last winter before I finally had a light bulb moment! We had one extra fence panel leftover from when we put up our privacy fence so I thought I could make something like a room divider out of it… I got to work.
Yup all that stuff wasn’t two feet from our front door where everyone walks every day to come in to the home. It drove me crazy – it was SO ugly! The extra fence panel we had was lying out in the dog kennel so I went and grabbed it.
With my reciprocating saw I cut the privacy fence panel into three separate pieces. There were three supporting boards across the back of the entire panel, so each needed to be cut. Each cut section ended up with four fence “slats” on it. That left me with two “slats” leftover which turned out to be a very good thing. As room dividers go I knew I needed to put three hinges on one side and three hinges on the other so it would “fold” in opposite directions so it would stand on its own. (I purchased just basic outdoor hinges on sale at Ace hardware for this job and used small outdoor screws.) I was not worried about the one broken off slat as I knew we would be burying this “room divider” well into the ground so it wouldn’t blow over so the broken slat would never show.
I grabbed some leftover flat white paint I had and just did a fast dry brush over the entire things. I kept telling myself to make sure it wasn’t “perfect” in any way. I really wanted it to look like it had been here for fifty years like everything else. Then, after a lot of adjustments and not a few four letter words, we got it in place!
So… yeah, I didn’t really see that gap coming… No problem! Remember I had two extra fence slats leftover? I simply painted one of them up and tacked it on there, problem solved! No more gap in my outdoor room divider cover up thingy!
Because this IS electrical that I’m hiding I figured it would be against code to attach this or make it permanent in any way so we just drove it into the ground so it can be pulled out easily at any time. This has been up since this spring and it still hasn’t moved at all and we’ve had some SERIOUSLY bad and windy weather this summer. Before I show the real “after” photos though, let’s remember what our house looked like in the spring of 2015 exactly one year before we built our “room divider” to cover up that electrical ugliness. Joe was just tackling the stone to cover the old stucco and we had not yet finished the new siding. My grandparents’ old sign (that they made of course) still hung on the front of the house…
So far I’m totally stoked with how our “room divider” looks. Is it perfect? No. Will I ever be really happy with this ugly situation or ever really “over” it? Probably not. However, I do think we did about the best we could do to cover up a bad situation. You can still see the ugliness when you’re standing on the other side (in our back yard) but I had to leave the fence out like that because there also happens to be an outlet back there and it needed to be accessible. However, the majority is covered and I am pleased to report no one seemed to notice it at all. I pointed it out to my mom and she jumped and did a double take because it fit in so well even she didn’t notice and she walked right by it lol and lived here her entire child hood! Well, I guess that’s the best compliment I could get. Joe helped me with this project (sweet man… I think he was feeling guilty about not spending enough time with me in the few weeks before I did this – gosh how we are busy people) he cut the fence panel a part and helped hold everything while I screwed it together. It took us both to get it in position, digging and grunting and adjusting etc. Of course the soffits and things on the house (as you can see) all need to be painted etc. forgive me that I have not yet got to that this summer, honestly I kinda like the chippy old paint and don’t really want to paint it yet.
All in – I am happy with how this turned out 🙂